Aren’t the martial arts in Eastern Religion?
How can you practice something so violent and really be a Christian?
Aren’t the teachings of the Jesus and Buddha the same?
Have you heard these questions before?
I have found that most martial artists who profess a relationship with Jesus had encountered these types of questions from well-meaning yet uninformed individuals.
In truth if you were a martial artists before you found Jesus you have asked yourself many of these questions. The very nature of our relationship with the Sovereign Lord of the universe makes it impossible not to wrestle with these issues.
The reason I have written this eBook is that many people have wrestled and not found satisfactory answers or have not ability to dig into the Word of Truth to solve these questions.
There are so many questions that run through the mind and spirit of new believers that it would be impossible to address them all. So let’s look some of the major issues and hopefully you can find your way from there.
As believers we’re to find our final authority in the word and person of Jesus Christ. What that means to you is that no matter what I say you still need to plumb the depth of Scripture’s for the answers. Don’t rely on anyone to “dictate” truth unless what they say lines up with Scripture. You know that you must do your own studies and your own prayers.
When you (or anyone else) accept Jesus as Lord (1), He sends his Holy Spirit to be your counselor (2). This is not a sometimes thing it is his promise. The same Spirit has been entrusted to act as God’s mouthpiece in the believer’s life. As Jesus said, “he will bring to you remembrances of all that I have said. He will not speak for himself but only that which the Father speaks.”
So, if you have questions, ask the Lord and he will answer. Being martial artists we tend to the action oriented in the idea of sitting around waiting tends to chat for us. But let me assure you, that prayer is what we were created for. That’s why our knees bend and in our heads tilt.
Don’t neglect its (3) !!!!
If you think it’s not manly to pray, look at this way, interceding through prayer and training is the fundamental combat we as Christians are called to. It is literally handed to hand combat (4). Think about here is Paul makes its for a clear that we are not fighting men but the army of darkness. That is, yes, Satan(5) and his fallen angels.
Yes it is a man’s fist that we block or dodge, but it was Satan’s lie that brought that man to the point of thinking that violence will solve his marriage problems, get him out of financial troubles, make him feel fulfilled, or make him more like a man.
The truth is that only God can fill the gaping hole in any man’s life. He may have chosen you, at that moment, to share the truth (6) of His grace and mercy.
I love the martial arts and I love the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I hope that this little book will strengthen you in your walked have possibly make you even hungry for a more intimate relationship with the Creator of the universe.
May the Lord bless you and your house hold.
Pastor and Sifu John Roche
(1)”John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
(2) “John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may be with you for ever, 17 even the Spirit of truth:”
(3) “Philippians 4:6 In nothing be anxious; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.”
(4) “1 Timothy 2:1 I exhort therefore, first of all, that supplications, prayers, intercessions, thanksgivings, be made for all men; 2for kings and all that are in high place; that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and gravity. 3This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4who would have all men to be saved, and come to the knowledge of the truth.”
(5) “Ephisians 6:12 For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.”
(6) “1 Peter 3:15 being ready always to give answer to every man that asketh you a reason concerning the hope that is in you, yet with meekness and fear:”